Translate

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The West

Yesterday, I had an inspiration from out of the blue, as they say somewhere. I was in deep thought and a little consternated (no, not constipated) about what to write about, when a little voice popped up, saying "You supposedly write about the west, so write something about the west, Mae West would be good, since she acted in a couple of western movies if you interpret them broadly." By George, I said, I will, and here is the result.

Hmm-m, hmm-m, let's start off with a couple of her quotes: " It's not the man in you life, it's the life in your man."

She must have come up with that one as she sat in the Jail on Welfare Island "for corrupting the morals of youth" and having dinner with the warden and his wife in 1918. She had written a play called "Sex" and this was the result of it. They let her keep her silk underpants, though, instead of the cotton bloomers.

"Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" She asked a cop on her return to Los Angeles from Chicago. She used this line in her last movie, Sextette, asking George Hamilton that question.

She must have been getting ready to tell Randolph Scott, Go West, Young Man. the story of a touring movie star and a country boy made in 1936. Mae West made her film debut with George Raft in 1932 in Night After Night in which she was allowed to rewrite her lines. George Raft said, "She stole everything but the cameras."  It was in this movie that she said "Goodness had nothing to do with it," when a hatcheck girl says, to her, "Goodness, what beautiful diamonds!"

"When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm even better," she said in I'm No Angel. 

Mae West and W. C. Fields starred in My Little Chickadee, which was a success in 1939. Finally, a western of sorts. West is Flower Belle Lee who entertains the crowd as Sheriff Twillie (Fields) tends bar and plays cards.I saw this one a long time and thought it was hilarious.

I'll end thiis with one more quote: "Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution."

But, mayhe I am.

10 comments:

  1. She had some terrific quotes and the gal was ahead of her time. She would have fit in well (nudity that is) with Kim Kardashian and Katy Perry and the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she would have an easier time of it now, too, and she would have a lot of company in this more open society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful stuff Oscar. I'm glad that cleared your consternation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Valance, it builds and builds if you don't clear it once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A women far ahead of her time.

    I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
    -Mae Weat-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old guy, The Madonna of the '20's and '30's. Another fine quote added.

    Marsha, your welcome.

    ReplyDelete