Translate

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Texas Iron by Robert J. Randisi

My reading habits have changed over the last couple of months. I must be devoting more time to it, and I finished Mr. Randisi's book, Texas Iron, in record time. It was either very exciting or dull as an old axe, and it wasn't a bit dull.

Famous gunslinger and wanderer, Sam McCall, receives a telegram while in some little tumbleweed town out in the middle of nowhere informing him that his parents were killed, so he rounds up his brothers, Evan the gambler, and Jubal, the youngest, and they set out to investigate the deaths in their hometown of Vengeance Creek. They soon learn that the bigwig rancher, Lincoln Burkett, is behind the shenanigans and is trying to take over the town. Burkett hires a famous gunslinger in his own right, a man named Coffin, to take out Sam McCall, and the plot thickens up considerably. Burkett has a son, John, a playboy troublemaker, who throws a crank in the works on an occasion or two, and has his sights set on killing Jubal McCall.

The McCalls have their own supporters in the local store owner, Dude Miller and his daughter, Serena, the romantic attraction; Ed Collins, and the big Swede. Against overwhelming odds, the brothers must battle everybody working for the Burketts including the local sheriff, the mayor, and the gunslinger Coffin to finally get to the bottom of it. The finale comes in a hail of bullets aimed at the jail where the McCalls are holed up with Burkett's gunslinger Coffin, who has been jailed to await the arrival of the Federal Marshal..

I put the book down with feelings of "Oh, no, it's ended already," wanting to read more of this exciting and high pressured tale of vengeance. I'll just have to check out some of Randisi's other novels like The Ghost with Blue Eyes, Backshooter, and The Money Gun as time goes on.  I have no doubt that they will be just as exciting.

7 comments:

  1. Reading a Randisi western is like being shot out of the poberbial cannon. Such skilled writing delivered at breakneck speed. I recommend the Decker bounty hunter series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghost with Blue Eyes is well worth a read. (I've not read the others you mention)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, well put, indeed. I'll add the Deckers to my wish list.

    Steve M, this was my first Randisi book and I'll be watching for those others to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't take much interest in books Oscar, but after moseying over here, I read this anyway. 'Coffin' the gunslinger... wonderful name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still deep in the early 20th century. I come up for air once in a while for something current. BEAT TO A PULP comes next and a Bill Crider novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poberbial!? I think I meant proverbial. But then again, maybe I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you just type too fast, David. I thought it was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete