Translate

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reading/My new novel

I've been reading "Boone's Lick," by McMurtry, and it may take awhile to plow through it. I don't mean that it's not well-written or humourous or interesting. No, I just can't stay awake long enough to read more than one or two chapters at a time. I save my entertainment reading until the day is done in most cases and use it to take my mind off the day's doings. I find that when I get involved in writing a story, I'm thinking about it most of the time and it will pop in and say hello at any time. And I'm wondering what I should do next as the story advances to keep it, or make it, more interesting, if that's possible (ha-ha). So it takes me a long time to read a book, and the longer it is, the longer it takes, of course.

I'm proceeding pretty well with "The Bloody Gulch", which is now called "Blood Runs in the Gulch." I may call it something else before it is finished, but I've written about 25,000 words and it should go another 20- or 25,000, or so. One of the secondary characters is trying to make up his mind about two girls, which one is he going to ask to marry him, or will there be someone else come along? He's been hired on as a Deputy to help the Sheriff take care of business. The sheriff is expecting trouble from the CB Ranch hands who want to run things around town. They're a new bunch who have moved on to a ranch a few miles south, but a couple three of them are troublemakers.

We shall see how it progresses. I never know how it's going to come out until I've reached about three-quarters, then it seems to fall in place for the finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment