Translate

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chris Enss' new book

Chris Enss has a new book entitled,  None Wounded, None Missing, All Dead: The Story of Elizabeth Bacon Custer. The official launch will be in Dodge City, the Long Branch Saloon, and is the story of General Custer's wife's life. It should be an enlightening and gratifying read.

Ms. Enss also has written a more detailed review of the Festival of the West which can be read on her journal site, http://chrisenssjournal.com/. You may have to google the url.

The wife and I went to breakfast at the bowling alley yesterday morning and then stopped at a used book sale run by the Sun City Daily News. This is a charity event held annually. I found few westerrns, but picked out the following for my TBR pile:

1. A Death in Indian Wells by Lewis B. Patten. I've never heard of this author, but will check him out when I get into the book.
2. The Fastest Gun in Texas by J. T. Edson. Haven't read him that I recall, either, but I know he has written more than one western.
3. West of the Wolverine by Paul Evan Lehman, another unknown by me.
4. The Prairie by James Fenimore Cooper. Everyone has heard of him. This is the last of the Leatherstocking tales about Natty Bumpo, not one have I read.
5. Knights of the Range by Zane Grey, the most beautiful lady in Texas tames a wild outlaw gang, the cover declares. Haven't read this one before.
6. And a hardback, The Great Southwest by Charles McCarry, photographed by George F. Mobley,
a National Geographic Publication. Mucho photos covering the States of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and southern Nevada and southern California.

These will keep me occupied for quite awhile.

2 comments:

  1. I've been curious for a long time about the book Custer's wife wrote herself: BOOTS AND SADDLES (1913)...I've got a TBR shelf that is growing by leaps and bounds, too. I used to read only what I could check out from the library and return by the time I couldn't renew them anymore. Then I started buying books again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read "Boots..." and I haven't seen it mentioned as part of Chris Enss' research, but I'm sure she has read it. It will be interesting to see. I still make a trip to the library now and then, but only if it is something I really have to read, and the book-buying is a habit that I can't seem to control.

    ReplyDelete