Translate

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Gunman's Chance"

This is only Tuesday, but I try to start on my blog early depending on what the day's schedule has, and I have to put in a few notes to remember what I'm writing about. I finished reading "Gunman's Chance" by Luke Short in a beat-up, well worn version which still had every page intact. Going through it, there were three or more checkmarks or straight lines put in by an earlier reader that I didn't see thumbing through it earlier. I still get a little kick out of some reader, probably the same one with the checkmarks, putting in his editorial comment by adding "The End" at the end, as I commented about in a blog awhile ago.

As far as the book goes, I enjoyed it of course. The fight between Tate Riling and Jim Garry was a good one, both men getting messed up pretty bad, and that turned Garry against Riling when he realized he had been supporting a conniving and devious old friend in his attempt to make money by bribing an Indian Agent. Garry knew the next time they ran into each other one of them would be killed, and Garry hoped it wouldn't be him. And things grew complicated with the two daughters of the Blockhouse owner, one trying to rope in Riling and the other falling for Garry.

As I said, I'm not a speed reader, and I don't read a book from beginning to end anymore when I start it. I fit it in between the writing and interruptions that each day brings, and sometimes I lose track of where I was in the story and have to retrace my steps.

I picked up a copy of "Resolution" by Robert B. Parker at the Barnes and Noble store in Arrowhead and will read it when I get around to it. For those who are unfamiliar with Arrowhead, it's a mall, at least there is a fairly large mall on one side of Bell Road and several free standing stores on the south side of Bell, the whole area being called Arrowhead, and it's usually busy every day of the week, with all the shoppers and diners. And Barnes and Noble has a huge book outlet there along with Borders. B. Dalton used to be there, but no more. I'm disappointed in the western section of Barnes and Noble, though, having a limited number of books and a limited number of authors represented in the thousands of feet of bookshelf space.

No comments:

Post a Comment