Translate

Saturday, April 4, 2009

New (old) fiction to read

I attended the annual "Daily News-Sun" annual used book sale Saturday morning and picked up four more pocket books and a hardback at fire-sale prices. One of the books was "Hour of the Gun " by Robert Krepps. It's the story of Ike Clanton after the O.K. Corral gunfight in Tombstone. Clanton sets out for vengeance against the Earp brothers and Doc Halliday and as the cover brief says "There were more dead men than living." It was made into a movie with the same title starring James Garner, Jason Robards and Roberty Ryan, which I think I've seen, but it's been so long ago, it escapes me.

Another book was "By the Gun" by Richard Matheson, about a rancher going blind, but is preparing for a gunfight with a senseless killer holding a saloon hostage.

Picked up Luke Short's "Gunman's Chance", about a man taking on the Blockhouse ranch gang.

And one was "The Return of Zach Stuart" by Will C. Knott, a man against his father, "the meanest rancher in the territory."

And the hardback was Louis L-Amour's "Rivers West". It takes place in 1821, and concerns the overtaking of the Louisiana Territory by a gang of cutthroats.

At the speed I read, it's going to take me a couple of months to even start on these, since I'm still reading the last ones I purchased, so it'll be a year or so, maybe, to finish them. But it sounds like another batch of great reading with lots of guns blasting away and a little swashbuckling thrown in. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment