Translate

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Author? Writer?

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries,
Tax his tears.

You may have noticed that I changed the wording under my "picture" to read "writer", taking out "author". I have no idea why I did this, except to satisy my ego, since I prefer some peoples' definition or understanding that an "author" has at least one book officially published. It gives me something to work toward. According to Webster's, anyone who has written a book is an "author". And it won't make one whit of difference to anyone, since I can call myself anything that comes to mind, and I often call myself dumb, stupid, idiotic, to put it mildly, when I make an error or do something that doesn't fit into the scheme of things. My wife occasionally calls me names under her breath, especially when I take too much time parking the car or park too far away.


"There's a place there," she will say, as I glide past it. "Not enough room," say I, and choose a place further away. "You ALWAYS have to drive around the parking lot two or three times looking for a place and end up a long way away from the door!" she tells me. "And when you finally find one, you have to back up two or three times to get it in the right place." "Uh huh," I reply. "This car has a longer wheelbase than the old one."


And that's the difference between "author" and "writer" in my way of looking at it. It boils down to being a matter of personal preference.


And now that I've beat that to death, pounded it into the ground, put it through the meat grinder, so to say, we can get on to something else next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment