Translate

Thursday, May 30, 2013

More Reading

All right, I'll 'fess up. I jist cain't pass up a book store and yesterday I picked up three more books to add to my readin' pile.

1. A new author to make my readin' acquaintance is Rod Miller and his Gallows for a Gunman. If that ain't a great title, I don't know what is and it promises to hang 'em high and use a strong rope. He's done roped me in for this un. "Harlow had been sentenced to die at dawn. For the town of Los Santos, dawn couldn't come soon enough," it says on the back kivver. I cain't wait to dig into it, but all things considered, it'll have to go on the file pile to be read as I git time.

2. And, by golly, I just finished two books on Butch Cassidy when I ran across Will Henry's Alias Butch Cassidy and jist gotta have a go at this for comparison's sake. Where do I put it on the file pile, near the top ahead of some of the other greats or on the bottom and hope I git to it before the unwanted guest comes knockin'?  Or, sneak it into the middle of the pile, where it'll have a better chance of bein' read? I'm not goin' to draw straws or play high card, I'll just toss it into the box, knowing the odds are even. I'm needin' a li'l more Wild Bunch, Hole in the Wall, and Robber's Roost to put me to sleep.

3.Whoopee! Another one of Louis L'Amour's shoot-'em ups, Rivers West. "A dream and a deadly conspiracy" it yells from the Back kivver. Tryin' to take over Louisiana is whut they're tryin' to do. Hmm-mph! I doubt they can wrench it away from them swamp dogs that got it already.  Ya nivver know aboot thet "brazen Baron Torville" though. Hate to throw that on the pile, but jist got to. I cain't git at thet one before Cassidy and Gallows er can I?.

(He leans back in his chair with thet satisfied grin on his face and sighs with contentment.)     

8 comments:

  1. Hope these turn out to be as good as they promise. I've been resisting the urge to buy, but that won't last long once the to-read pile starts to shrink a little. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just about the Alias Butch Cassidy book last week when I was in Atlanta. Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm anxious to get started on this one.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've read Lamour's RIVERS WEST and I'm not going to buy it 'cause I'm already sitting on a pile of unread westerns that I usually read between other fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See reply to Ron Scheer, above, Prashant. We bibliophiles can't pass up a book, even though the list is already long. Nice to hear from you again. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hey Oscar,

    No adultery...Ms Havens' isn't married and it's written for fans of erotica...it's all fantasy.

    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply on your blog, Hawk, and have a nice weekend!

      Delete