Translate

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Books of the West

I thought I had read a book entitled Memoirs of a Lawman, but there I go thinking again. I began looking through it to determine the true facts of the case, and decided I hadn't read it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has purchased a book because it sounds like something you need or want and find out you've already read it. Anyway, the book is edited by Wilson Rockwell and published in 1962 by Sage Books, Denver.and is one of those I've had for a long time, picked up at a used book store along the line.

It's adapted from the writings of C. W. (Doc) Shores, the Sheriff of Gunnison, Colorado, at the beginning, and follows his exploits through to the end of his lawman's career as Salt Lake City's Chief of Police. Doc Shores was born in Michigan in 1844 and died in 1934 in Denver. He was a bullwhacker, a hunter, a buffalo hunter. While working for the railroad, he trailed the outlaws through the west and brought them back to face justice. I can't wait to get into it further to follow him on the trail and off as he delivers the lawbreakers to justice. A tough lawman and a straight shooter who gets his man.

A book I have read and thoroughly enjoyed was We Pointed Them North, Recollections of a Cowpuncher, by E. C. Abbott ("Teddy Blue") and Helena Huntington Smith, with drawings by Nick Eggenhofer. It was first copyrighted in 1939 by Farrar  Rinehart, Inc., and this particular edition is an 8th printing by the University of Oklahoma Press, 1986. E. C Abbot, known as "Teddy Blue," was a cowpuncher in Montana and trailed the longhorns from Texas in the 1870's and -80's. Tells you why he did it and how.  

1 comment: