Translate

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Name change

"Walking can add minutes to your life. This enables you at 85 years old to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $7,000 per month." (Excerpted from a recent e-mail.)

Here we go again. I changed the name of the blog, if you haven't noticed, thinking it would be a little easier to access. HA! The access address is still the same: oscar-curlyblog.blogspot.com, so just make sure you put oscar- in front. That's what I get for being a little dense with computer stuff. For those who may not know, Curly was a childhood nickname, so I re-energized it for the blog hoping it won't be so formal.


I've finished for now "The Upamona Gold Claim Wrangle", and as soon as it is read by a couple more objective bystanders, will send it off to the publishing world and keep my fingers crossed. It's about 145 pages, perfect length for the market, I think. I've seen some books with as little as 90 pages in this genre.

I was watching the History channel awhile back and saw a short bio of Andy Warhol, but it was mostly about his wigs. He had quite an assortment, but the ones they showed looked about the same. They must have gotten too sweaty or maybe dirty to wear so he filed them away in boxes and envelopes. They didn't explain how long he wore them, but the bill was $850 for two. Nothing unusual about this, but it reminded me of the bill I ran across in some stuff of my father's a few years ago. It was a bill from the town grocery store showing he still owed $10 on his groceries and was dated 1932 at the height of the depression. At that time, he had only seven kids and a wife to support, although the older boys probably helped out a little bit. He ended up with an even dozen off-spring. And why it popped into my mind, I have no idea. If I knew where that bill was right now, I'd take another look at it to see how much things cost in comparison to today. But the administration keeps telling us there is no inflation. Just compare this year's grocery bill to last year's and you'll find out there is no inflation. Every time I hear it, I know it's time to be prepared, everything's going up.

A word of advice to the young people, and it isn't as if you haven't heard it before, put some away for the future, and if you can, put a lot away.









No comments:

Post a Comment