Translate

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Going West

Well, this is the second time I began this article. The first time as I was finishing up I had to check something in a previous blog and clicked on "view blog." A-A-A-R-G-H! I forgot to click on "Save now" and lost the whole thing. That's what happens when you get ahead of yourself. So, let's start over.

I finished reading D. B. Newton's "Disaster Creek," and decided that it was very entertaining, action-wise, and kept me on my toes throughout. Will give it an "A," which won't mean anything to anybody else. Oh, well, it was a good read.

And speaking of good reading, here are some more from my bookshelf:

47. Hartford An Illustrated History of Connecticut's Capital by Glenn Weaver (My old John lived there for awhile, as purportedly shown on a map of 1640 inside the book. I couldn't find it, but he did own some property for a couple of years way back then.)

48. History of Norfolk Connecticut, 1744-1900, opening chapters by Rev. Joseph Elderedge, D.D., compiled by Theron Wilmot Crissey, L.L.B. (Going west now! My great-great-great-great grandfather, Asahel, appears in this one as one of the first settlers. He was in the Revolutionary War, and he and Dorothy had thirteen children, most of them are mentioned therein. One son, Aaron, was quite the fellow, and Asahel had a sense of humor as described.)

49. Ashtabula County Ohio, History of Ashtabula County, Ohio, With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by William W. Williams (Capt. Asahel's son, Capt. Joseph, was a pioneer there, being one of the first settlers and my great-great-great-grandfather. He and wife Lydia decided to GO WEST and ended up with ten children, including James, my great-great-grandfather, mentioned previously, calling him "John" but which I will correct toot-de-suite. His name was James, the son that lived with the Pawnees in Nebraska. Now we're on the move WEST.)

50. Journey to Zion, by Carol Cornwall Madsen, (in which is a short account of my maternal great-grandfather, Warren, who travelled WEST to Utah in 1850 as the Captain of the Wagon Train.)

51. "Old Put" The Patriot by Frederick Ober (I ran across this one in a Phoenix Antique Store and had to have it. It is a biography of General Israel Putnam of Revolutionary War fame. There was a battle at Horse Neck, now called "Putnam's Hill" at which an ancestral relative was killed or perished from the frigid weather after crossing the Potomac with Washington. The relative was named Nathaniel. I think this is the same Nathaniel that has a log cabin preserved by the DAR. It was the first one built wherever it was.)

52. Dr. Chase's Family Physician, Farrier, Bee-Keeper, Second Receipt Book by Dr. A. W. Chase (which is still in print, although in updated editions. This one was printed in 1873 and is not in too good a condition. Nevertheless, it is a handy reference to have on hand.)

53. The Real America in Romance, An Authentic History of America From...etc. edited by Edwin Markham. (This is the Art Edition Complete In Thirteen Volumes, although I have only Seven of them, and I'll probably never run across the other six in this printing. I ran across it at a swap meet. I wonder where the vendor found it.)

54. Henry Ward Beecher, An American Portrait by Paxton Hibben (I found this interesting since Henry and Harriet Beecher Stowe are the children of Lyman and Roxanna. Roxanna is an ancestral relative from the maternal side. Henry was famous for, among other things, his Plymouth Church in Brooklyn and his adulterous affair with the wife of a prominent New Yorker. And Harriet for "Uncle Tom's Cabin.")

55. The Founding of Utah by Levi Edgar Young (No comment.)

56. The World of Washington Irving by Van Wyck Brooks

57. Religion in the Development of American Culture by William Warren Sweet

58. Sanpete Tales, Humorous Folklore From Central Utah by William Jenson Adams (Hilarious!)

It looks like these are all non-fiction, too, except for number 58. I guess its fiction partly.

Have a great hump day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment