Translate

Friday, March 6, 2015

Josey Wales

I'll be dadburned or flabbergasted or transmogrified or dadblasted or dad- something else because I knew for certain that I had seen the movie The Outlaw Josey Wales, and I still think I may have seen it, it just does not come to my memory from the deepest, darkest recesses of my mind (so they say). By golly, my wife picked a copy up at Walmart while shopping with the great-gandsons, and we watched it last Saturday or was it Sunday?

We enjoyed Mr. Eastwood as Josey running away from the Redlegs after the Civil War. They had burned his house to the ground, killed his boy and wife and he would never forget it, and neither would the men chasing him. His buddy got shot and died a short time later and Josey picked up a friend, an old Indian played by Chief Dan George who was great in this one, adding humor to his role and the movie. Josey saves another Indian, this time a woman played by Geraldine Keams, and she follows him and won't let him go. They continue on to Texas where they save a wagon with an old woman and her granddaughter (Sandra Locke) from the Cherokees. Josey kills about a dozen or two men while he's doing all this saving and they end up at the old grandmother's old home where they are attacked by the Redlegs.

This is a funny, action-packed Western, with some real historical characters names being used like Senator Lane from Kansas, and Bloody Bill Anderson. It ends in a big shoot-out of course and a big romance. Well worth the five bucks for the DVD, and I give it the holy five stars.     


5 comments:

  1. One of my favorites, classic Eastwood western.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites, classic Eastwood western.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely one of my top five westerns. "Ain't a hard man to track. Leaves dead men where ever he goes." I think it's one of the few movies too that is much better than the book it was based on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the book, but it's easily in the top five westerns.

      Delete