Translate

Sunday, October 5, 2014

What Am I Working On?

I was working on a short story, but so many avenues popped up that now it's a long story. It's shaping up to be my ninth novel and I have a title in mind, but it will probably change. What happened was, I began writing this as a follow on to "Welcome to Dry Creek, Reverend" and it seems to have taken on a life of its own. A short story just wouldn't fit with all the things happening to the characters.

Bobby Chase-the-Lord, the Cayuse Indian who was found by Reverend Sweeney and taken into their household, has decided to leave town with a new character called Kid Ferry. Bobby plans to start his own church and make money like the Reverend, but the Kid has other plans for him. The Kid escaped from an orphanage when he was nine years old and has been taking care of himself ever since by learning tricks of the trade, e.g., thieving, lying, cheating at cards, even working in the mines, and he fully intends to pass on what he has learned to Bobby as they take the next stage out of Dry Creek.

They start out in Great Salt Lake and will carry on from their as the story develops. I hope to create something that will have plenty of action, humor, and drama and some suspense as these two "cowboys" live their own style of life. Now, all I have to do is "git" it down on paper, that's all.   

6 comments:

  1. If a story takes on a life of it's own and the characters are getting up to things the author wasn't quite expecting then I reckon it stands a good chance of being an excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when a short story evolves into something more and sometimes just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this one works into something more in a good way.

      Delete