Translate

Friday, March 29, 2013

One of A. B. Guthrie, Jr.'s, Novels

A new high school teacher and principal comes to the Montana town of Arfive and runs into difficult moral problems that has him in a tizzy as he copes with them and his new life. He is at odds with the school board on some of the proposals put forth and especially against the liquor magnate's suggestion that the school provide an award of $25 for the top student in each class for the mogul's support of the school. And he has other problems with his pregnant wife who has a history of miscarriages and has another one and gets pregnant again. Instead of giving up and returning to the East, he stays on at Arfive and finds a fulfilling life after all.

This is a story about a Western town in the midst of changing from the Old West to the Modern West where infernal, noisy machines are being bought by the rich locals for transport and the use of the horse and buggy and outdoor toilets are beginning to phase out. There are none of the traditional gunfights or settlers being kicked off the land by the big ranchers or fights over water and other rights. There are the typical small-town political battles mainly centered around the school board and moral issues caused by the local madam who finally retires and goes into the restaurant business.

The name of the novel is Arfive, a Houghton Mifflin Company publication copyright 1970 by the author and printed in the good old U.S.A. It is the fourth book in the "series", the others being the Pulitzer Prize winning The Way West, The Big Sky (a terrific novel in my opinion), and These Thousand Hills, all great reading.

A HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYBODY!!   

8 comments:

  1. When I initiаlly сommented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" cheсkbox and nоw
    each time a cοmment is added I get
    three emaіls ωith the same comment. Is there any way you cаn remove ρeоple from that serviсe?
    Βleѕs you!

    my ωeb blog: v2 cigs reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh, I wouldn't know. You might check with Draft Blogger.

      Delete
  2. infernal noisy machines! The beginning of the end! Sounds like this would be a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a little humor in it, but it's mostly serious, making it a good read but not exactly fun.

      Delete
  3. Hey Cowboy!

    Thank you for stopping in at my old place...nice to know you'll still coming by (hugs)...I posted at Miss Cecile's blog last Wednesday...you missed it...??? :-(

    I'm submitting to publishers this week so I hope soon to have some good news for you and where to find me at my NEW EROTIC BLOG WITH MY BOOKS LISTED.

    I've missed you all and our fun times visiting - I hope to get back into the swing soon and I will reactivate this old blog as well..hang in there with me.

    Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your submission and I'll take a look at Miss Cecile's blog. I'm hangin'.

      Delete
  4. whoah this blоg is excellent i геally like stuԁying your posts.
    Stay up the good worκ! Υou realize, lots of ρeople aгe hunting round for this
    info, you could aid them greatly.

    Stop by my webѕitе :: www.dallasseocompany1.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, everything is going sound here аnԁ ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that's genuinely fine, keep up writing.

    My web-site: dallas seo Company

    ReplyDelete