Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Finally, it's on the way

The Bloody Gulch is on the way and will be available on Amazon.com in the next few days. Here are the opening lines:

    This is the story of early Roosevelt, Utah. Back then, it was known as "The Gulch," and being the Sheriff was a pretty easy job in comparison to some of them other places like Tombstone, Dodge City, Laramie, and others, but I had difficulties. It started when I had been out of town for a few days and returned to find myself in sort of a pickle.
     "All right, Clarence, put your gun back in the holster, and you, too, stranger, if you know what's good for you," I said, holding my .44 long-leg aimed at the stranger's chest. I knew Clarence wasn't going to shoot anybody. He wasn't a troublemaker. But the stranger was another matter. For all I knew, he could be one of the Wild Bunch come to town to raise Hell.
     I kept my eyes on the stranger, noting a scar on the left cheek too jagged for a knife cut. The empty holster hung low and was tied to the thigh, not typical for anyone around here who only carries a weapon for snakes and an occasional bear or mountain lion.
     "I get paid to prevent bloodshed, Stranger, but I'm not above shootin' you if that's what it's goin' to take to keep the peace," I said. "I don't know if you're a bad hoss or a black-leg preacher and it don't make no difference to me. Just put that hog-leg back in the holster."



I don't particulary like this cover, but it's representative of the country in which Roosevelt is located.

4 comments: