Translate

Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Movie on a DVD, Evil Roy Slade

We had company this week and to kill some time we visited Fry's Electronics not to buy anything special, just looking around at prices, etc. I wandered into the DVD/CD section with the wife and while she browsed music, I browsed DVD sets and then stumbled onto sale items. While admiring front covers, I ran across an old comedy that I thought I needed to watch called Evil Roy Slade, starring John Astin, Mickey Rooney, Henry Gibson, Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Dom DeLouise, and Penny Marshall.

I've always thought John Astin was a funny guy as Gomez in the Addams Family TV series, and in movies, The Killer Tomatoes group, Operation Petticoat, and National Lampoon's European Vacation, and others. In Slade he is the star of this spoofy, goofy western with some great one-liners. Born on the prairies during an Indian attack, the only survivor, the Indians didn't want him and the wolves ran off after hearing his cry, he grows up illiterate and evil and becomes the most sought after outlaw in the West. He kisses a pretty girl during a bank robbery and falls in love. She takes him to Boston to change him and get away from the law where he becomes a shoe salesman. But, he has a relapse while he is delivering the store's profits to the bank and reverts to his evil ways, returns west, gets caught, is going to be hanged, escapes, etc., etc., and etc.

Mickey Rooney, Dom DeLouise, and Milton Berle, look awfully young; the film was released in 1972. Pamela Austin, as the pretty woman, is a pretty woman and plays the part well.

Wikipedia says this is a cult classic, but it wasn't as funny this time, although I had a few chuckles out of it.

            

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a fun movie for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's about it, Dave. No brainpower needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ran across your blog—I will be back.
    Don't know how I missed the Evil Roy Slade, it sounds like fun to me
    -N-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rambling: Welcome to my blog, and enjoy Evil Roy when you get a chance to watch it.

    ReplyDelete