Translate

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour

This novel read like it was first in the Sackett series, being about half or more of the life of Barnabas Sackett in England. Barnabas is wanted for stealing the Queen's pile of gold that was lost in the "fens" along the coast of England. Barnabas found a few coins, but nowhere near the amount that everyone is looking for and all the robbers and the Queen's men are looking for him. He has made a couple of trips to the New Land and is anxious to get back to it and avoid the people after him. He swashbuckles himself into command of a Dutch flyyt (a small sailing ship) and he sets out for the far blue mountains with his girlfriend and friends who helped him escape from prison.

After an adventure on the Newfoundland coast where he managed to take over the flyyt, they find themselves on the beach in Virginia or nearby and build a fort to keep the Indians and others out. Before setting out for the Far Blue Mountains, they must return to England for supplies and trade. With them is a Catawba Indian they rescued who is planning to show them where the Catawbas live and the way to the mountains. In between attacks by Indians and pirates, on their return there fort is destroyed. Rather than rebuild they head for the mountains.

My view of the novel is that it was mighty interesting and kept my attention. The descriptions of English life is well done and so is the sword fighting along the way with plenty of action and entertainment. Ditto for the life in the New Land and the Indian fights. It covers twenty or more years and Barnabas is married and having kids along the way, who soon grow into adulthood, all well written. This and all the other things I haven't mentioned make it a good read, and I give it FIVE STARS.


5 comments:

  1. Oscar, I recently started reading Louis L'Amour again and it felt as if I'd discovered his refreshing style for the first time. His writing his simple, yet there is something special about it. I guess that's the case with nearly every published author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree although I have read only 3 or 4 of his books. I'm reading one now while I wait for the wife.

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so beautiful, I have been so busy lately about life but let me share with you all about my health life experience with the great herbal traditional doctor that saved the life of mine and my dear husband.I was suffering from a deadly disease herpes and diabetes and i went through alot trying to get better each everyday of my life until I came across a testimony on blogs someone telling good about Dr Jekawo, a traditional herbal doctor that cure all kind of disease such as: herpes,diabetes,cancer,hpv,lupus,degenerative disease also bring back ex, and other spiritual consultations, I contacted him via drjekawo@gmail.com then he pepared the herbal medicines and send to me which takes 21 days treatment that cured my diabetes and herpes completely,I'm so grateful with the help he rendered to me therefore I promised to share his great works.Thank you and I hope this could save someone else out there.
    Karen Paul
    South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete