Translate

Sunday, October 27, 2013

American Cowboy the Magazine

The December-January 2014 issue of the subject magazine has a great article by Kendra Santos about Lane Frost, The Legend Lives On. Mr. Frost was a legendary bull-rider who died too early, age 25, after one of his rides. He was the 1987 World's Champion and a really nice fellow, outgoing and companionable.

I have attended a total of two rodeos in my life, one in Payson, Utah, and the other in Midvale, Utah, both of which I sneaked into to watch the goings-on in the 1940's. I was always amazed at the contortions the bucking horses went through during the short ride with the cowboy hangin' on as best he could. And I always wanted to try it, but never did. Rodeos were a big thing in Utah back then and still are, but you almost have to be born into that life to turn out a good cowboy. I haven't heard of too many rodeo riders who weren't raised in the life, but I'm sure there are some who got into it for the entertainment and excitement right  off the street, so to say.

Anyway, I recommend the article to those who are interested in rodeo-ing. It not only tells you about Lane Frost but a couple of the other rodeo circuit riders who were good friends with him and how they met and became friends. And it lets you know about riding bulls for a living. It is the fastest growing sport in the country and Silvano Alves, two-time defending champ made only $1,464,775 last year, according to another article on the history of bull-riding by Jesse Bussard.

By the way, the Wild Western Festival is going on here in Glendale this weekend with Don Collier, the actor,  signing autographs and participating in a panel discussion along with all the other attractions. I won't be attending this year even though the weather is great.   

2 comments:

  1. There's a biopic of Lane Frost, 8 SECONDS, that is a nice tribute to the young man. I've seen a few rodeos, the Bucking Horse Sale in Miles City, MT, and PBR finals in Las Vegas. A couple of acquaintances have tried competitive bull riding and have sustained injuries. I don't know how much of that $1.4 million goes to health insurance if you can even find an insurer who would cover you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bull riding is not for the faint of heart, it's outright dangerous, even if it looks like fun. Insurance would be high, I'm sure. My nephew rode the horse for awhile, but he got injured and the entry fees are pretty high, along with all the other costs.

    ReplyDelete