Translate

Thursday, September 26, 2013

New Book Status

I'm sure everyone is on tenterhooks just waiting for the release of my latest novel, O'Shaughnessy's New Deputy. It won't be much longer. I'm in the process of giving it a final read now and then I will decide on a cover for it. Et Voila! Before you know it, there it is. Here's a little peek at it from Chapter 3:

      I strapped on the gun rigging after loading the pistol while standing on the store landing and carried the rest of the ammunition in the brown, paper bag that Abe had stuffed it in.

     I walked to the Sheriff's office and told O'Shaughnessy, "I'll take the job, but only if I can get twenty-five dollars a month, which seems only fair since I have to drop everything and leave town again."

     O'Shaughnessy was sitting at his desk and raised his head a notch, giving me that twisted look with one eye closed, running his eye from my head to my waist and back to my face. I thought he was going to tell me to get the Hell out of his office.

     "Tom, you haven't had a lick of experience with the law, but since this is jist a one-time job, I don't see why I can't make it twenty-two fifty a month, even though it's going to put a crimp in my budget. Let me dig out a badge and deputize you to make it legal."

     He rummaged through the top right-hand desk drawer and pulled out an extra badge. Walking around the desk, he told me, "Raise your right hand and repeat after me. I, Tom Anderson, will uphold the laws of the Territory of Utah, so help me God."

     I raised my hand and when I finished repeating the Oath, he looked me in the eye, winked, smiled, and said, "That was the short version and all that's necessary."

     He pinned the badge to my left shirtfront pocket, saying, "There, you're an official deputy until further notice unless you think the pay ain't fair."

     O'Shaughnessy stepped back, eyed the star, and grabbed my right hand and gave it a good shake.

     "Shucks, Sheriff, it ain't just the pay that ain't fair. It's because I just got home after two years and haven't had time to catch up on anything. And . . ."

     "That's why I tole you you're the only one around here that I thought would do it. The whole town is counting on us to bring those thieves to justice, Tom, and git back their money," said O'Shaughnessy. "Here's your chance to look good in the eyes of the town and that pretty store clerk, too." He smiled and looked at the new acquisition hanging from my waist. "I see you procured a shootin' arn, brand new, and mighty fine lookin', too. I hope you know how to use it."

     I just shook my head up and down. I could tell he was anxious to get on with it by the way he gazed at me, looking straight in my eye now.

     "Look, those men from the Church should be showing up this week and you can get goin' on the trail of those outlaws. Until then, you don't have to do any arrestin' or anything. Just let me know where you'll be so I can connect you with those fellers."

     I turned my eyes away from his and said, "Well, I'll be at my farm, Sheriff. I need to do some things around there to get ready."   


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice set up for some tension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works out that way, Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this excerpt out loud to my 10 year old boy in my most dramatic western voice.

    I want you to know it had his complete attention!

    Believe me, that is good writin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Albie! If it catches the ear of a 10-year-old, it might just have a chance with an older person. I'm glad he liked it.

    ReplyDelete