Translate

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Author J. P. Donleavy

One of the funniest books I've ever glommed onto was The Ginger Man, by J. P. Donleavy, an American who lives in Ireland and became an Irish citizen. The novel, according to Wikipedia, is based on an American emigre, Gainor Crist. His character Sidney Dangerfield has great comical adventures as I followed him through Dublin chasing the women, drinking, chasing the women and drinking, and so forth. The book is on the Best 100 list of the Modern Library. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._P._Donleavy  If you haven't read it, you may want to pick up a copy or check it out at the library (if they have it on the shelf).

Mr. Donleavy has written several other books, both fiction and non-fiction, including A Singular Man and The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual of Survival and Manners. I've read both of these, although I don't remember much of either, especially A Singular Man. I enjoyed some chuckles while reading The Unexpurgated Code and passed it on to my nephew with a box of other books. If I ever get out of the western-genre mode I will enjoy reading more of his works, and if I was able to write something as full of comedy as The Ginger Man, I would have done it by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment